UNDERSTANDING FORNICATION AND THE HARLOT OF THE BOOK OF REVELATION
This is a short message to simply share a deeper understanding of fornication, especially in regard to the harlot of Revelation 14, 17, 18 & 19, and what spiritual fornication really is.
First consider the verses regarding fornication and Babylon:
- Revelation 14:8 “And another angel followed, saying, "Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she has made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."
- Revelation 17:1-2 “Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, "Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication."
- Revelation 17:4 “The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication.”
- Revelation 18:3 “For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury."
- Revelation 18:9-10 "The kings of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, 'Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.'”
- Revelation 19:2 “For true and righteous are His judgments, because He has judged the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication; and He has avenged on her the blood of His servants shed by her."
Thoughts regarding spiritual fornication.
These verses are about the final group that will make up Babylon, but in a sense, it applies to all time. For the sake of some who may not realize it, to reject God and go with our own carnal nature is to choose the devil’s voice rather than God’s voice. And the only reason anyone ever does it, is for the same reason: the deception of alleged self benefit. There is only one God and when we choose ourselves to be our own gods or even directly choose the devil, it is committing “spiritual fornication” or “spiritual adultery.” (in physical terminology, fornication is sexual intercourse outside of marriage and adultery is sexual intercourse with someone besides one’s spouse).
We are not our own. We all belong to God. He created every one of us and for His own purposes. No one has to like it and anyone can refuse to believe it for now but it is still true. And, it is a huge mistake to think we can simply dismiss and disobey God. And when we sell out integrity for the benefit of sin, we prostitute ourselves. And this is exactly what Babylon the prostitute and evil beast both do for their own benefit; they coerce people into spiritual fornication.
There is another view about this type of fornication that is also worthy of consideration. The end will not come until the Gospel is heard throughout all the earth (Matthew 24:14). Christians have always shared the Gospel but the Two Witnesses will have the testimony of Jesus Christ and their message will go out to the entire world. The false Messiah (Antichrist), his false prophet and those on the wicked side will also have their message. Anyone who will live through seeing and hearing both sides and still choose the evil side, will, in my opinion, be committing the worst spiritual fornication ever.